The UGC sanction mandates the following activities for the Centre:
- Research, training and skills development of the faculty and students through periodic discussion, workshop and summer / winter schools.
- Capacity buliding by adopting faculty and departments for augmenting their research skills and to mentor them.
- Hosting and facilitating researchers from other institutions to carry out key experiments.
- Augmenting the information resource facility of the School to provide quality research information to other institutions.
- Augmenting the research infrastructure in the School.