The School of Chemistry at University of Hyderabad is among the leading centres in the country for chemical education and research. The School has been receiving grants under the Special Assistance Program (SAP) of the University Grants Commission (UGC) since 1984 and is currently designated as a Centre for Advanced Studies. It has also received support from the Department of Science and Technology (DST) under the FIST program starting from 2001 which is now in phase-II. Individual research groups also receive generous support from various agencies in India (UGC, DST, CSIR, DBT, DRDO..) and abroad. Several members of the faculty have won recognition in the form of awards and fellowships of various academic bodies both within and outside the country. Our masters students do well in national level competitive examinations and several of them go on to pursue a research career either in the School or at similar academic institutions. Some of our alumini occupy important positions in academia and industry in India as well as abroad.
- M.Sc.: The School offers a two-year masters as well as a five-year integrated masters program. The curriculum lays great stress on the student acquiring a firm foundation in all the traditional branches of chemistry and a good exposure to modern reseach. This is achieved through a series of core courses followed by electives and a research project in the final semester. Integrated masters students spend the first two years at the Special Centre for Integrated Studies (SCIS) and are transferred to the School of chemistry in their third year.
- Ph.D.: The School runs a very successful Ph.D. program which includes course work and research.
- Visiting students/researchers: A Networking Resource Centre has been established in the School with a grant from the UGC. The Centre supports visits by students at all levels (under-graduate/post-graduate/research) as well as faculty members from colleges and universities for short durations to undertake research projects. The centre also organises winter/summer schools.
- Distance learning: The School runs one program (PG-diploma in chemical analysis and quality management) at the Centre for Distance Education of the University.
- Continuing education: The School organises refresher courses for college/university teachers at the Academic Staff College of the University.
For admission procedures for M.Sc./Ph.D/Distance education/refresher courses consult the university website. For visiting programs and winter/summer schools consult the networking resource centre website.